Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dancing in the Rain



Sitting in the exam room at the orthopedics office I stared up at the off-white ceiling, trying not to think of the gentle pain pulsing through my ankle.  I knew what the doctor was going to say when he walked in, “Your leg is still broken, and you’ll have to stay in The Boot for six more weeks.”  Well there goes my summer! 
Seven weeks ago I was sentenced to life in a walking boot in order for my stress fracture to heal.  Okay, not life, it was only six weeks, but still....  For once I walked slowly, a feat most of my mission companions couldn’t even imagine.  I didn’t go dancing, or running.  My exercise consisted of Pilates in the mornings.  (I became so tired of Pilates that I was tempted not to do them). 
Though I had to admit life in The Boot did have its perks.  It was a great conversation starter.  Many people, more than half of whom were males, would ask what had happened.  I became great at telling them the quick story then moving onto more important matters, like his name, and if he wanted to take me on a date.  Okay, I actually didn’t ask them out, but I did make a lot of friends, and I swear if it wasn’t for The Boot I wouldn’t have gotten some of the dates that I did.
*Note to self: if your lacking on dates, put The Boot on. 
Despite this I was tired of wearing The Boot.  I wanted to run, jump, and play.  Most of all I wanted to dance.  I had been hoping and praying that my leg would heal.  I knew that Heavenly Father was listening, but whether or not He would answer my pleas was a different question.  Maybe I still needed to learn a life lesson. 
I was supposed to take off The Boot on June 1st, but alas, I was still in pain!  That’s how I ended up at the orthopedics office. 
After the looking at the x-ray, the doctor came in.  I prepared myself for the worse.
“Well Amanda,” he said, “your bone looks healed up.  I saw where the break was, and it healed over nicely.” 
Wait what?
Really! 
Oh my flip!
It took about fifteen minutes for the truth to really sink in.  When it did I cranked up Hillary Weeks, and we both jammed our hearts out on the car ride home. 

I invited my worries to step aside
I needed room to see in front of me
As the raindrops fell on my overcoat
 I let them roll right off of my back
I waited for the rainbow
Cuz me and heaven, we both know
This storm is gonna pass.
And I danced in the rain
I let my dreams know I hadn’t forget them
I let my heart take the lead
And I told my hopes to get themselves up again
And I danced (to the music of the day)
I looked (for the blue above the gray)
Yes I danced
In
the
rain.                                                                       
(Hillary Weeks “Dancing In The Rain”)


One of the best parts about not wearing The Boot is that I get to wear two shoes!  How thankful I am for Heavenly Father answering mine and other’s prayers in behalf of my leg healing.  I am Living Proof that He hears and answers the prayers of His children. 
And you better believe I’ll be out dancing!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm so the trick is the boot hu?! haha jk. Amanda I love your blog, thanks for sharing you testimony on it!! :) Hope school is treating you well!!

    ReplyDelete